Monday, March 3, 2014

A Dimensional Analysis of Ehmm Theory Vol. 1


No Mr. Whispers, I'm not okay. I'm not sure if I've seen through the membrane or fallen down the rabbit hole. I'll be honest, this is my first attempt at ever doing something like this, reviewing a comic, so if you read this and it's terrible I apologize. Now, let's step through the portal.

Ehmm Theory ($3.99 for Vol 1 @ Comixology) comes to from the folks over at Action Lab Danger Zone and Lost Story Studios creators Brockton McKinney (writer), Larkin Ford (artist), and Jason Strutz (colors).  Let's get this out of the way Ehmm Theory is a weird book combining all sorts of genres. There's the science/theoretical physics angle, a squad of seemingly hired guns with super powers, talking animals, warring families, secret organizations, and oh yeah, zombie little people.

Our hero, Gabriel Ehmm, and his new kitten, Mr. Whispers, wake up dead and  are soon given a mission by St. Peter himself to find out why little people are rising from the grave in an unnamed town somewhere. So, you sort of think okay, here we go we've got another zombie story, but that quickly fades to the background as Gabriel and Mr. Whiskers meet an ass-kicking old woman and begin a search for Gabe's father.

I'm not going to go much further into the plot details because I don't want to spoil anything for any perspective readers. Suffice to say as Gabe's journey continues we meet new and stranger characters, and find out a little about his father's past, and another world/universe/dimension that may have ties to Gabe's mother.

Anyway, what I find most interesting about Ehmm Theory is the theoretical physics that's sort of floating in the background. M-Theory is a sort of offshoot of String theory that predicts the existence of 11 dimensions. Is it a coincidence that Ehmm Theory gives us a quick overview of 11 important characters at the beginning of issue3? Maybe it is. Who knows? What I do know if that I enjoyed the first 4 issues of Ehmm Theory and I want to see where things go. $3.99 is a pretty small investment for a whole lot of story, so if you're into comics and weird fiction give this book a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment